Sunday, October 01, 2006

On Manifest Destiny

I have wanted to complete Manifest Destiny since first hearing about this prophetic historical and political concept in eighth grade social studies. Despite learning about the actual realities of such expansionism, I have always felt it was right for me to move westward in successive stages re-enacting the legacy of United States settlement. If only James K. Polk could know how strongly his words and deeds resonated in my twelve-year-old heart and mind.

Anyone who knows me well, or anyone that has talked to me for upwards of half and hour, has heard me talk about Manifest Destiny. And at age 22 – both my golden birthday and a palindrome – I have completed the lifelong dream and have moved to Oregon. Interestingly, and not all that surprising, the historical and political origins of the phrase relate directly to the acquisition of Oregon in the nineteenth century.

As a U.S. history memory refresher: Originally the U.S. and England had both occupied the Oregon territory. However, in the 1840s a bunch of brave pioneers started making their way to Oregon along the Oregon Trail. With all these new Americans in the area the U.S pushed to claim more of the territory. In there effort to show just how much they meant business, the Polk administration created such catchy phrases as, “The Whole of Oregon or None” and “Fifty-Four or Fight.” After time and the necessary political machinations, the U.S. and England agreed to draw the boundary at the 49th parallel, and Manifest Destiny was realized and continues to exist in this form today as the boundary between the U.S. and Canada.

And here I am today living out the dream…the dream of my forefathers. But history and politics aside, Manifest Destiny has guided almost all of my major life decisions up to this point. I went to college in Ohio, took a semester off from college and lived in Montana, graduated from college and moved out to Oregon. I have consciously made all of these decisions in an effort to complete Manifest Destiny and reflect the gradual expansion and historic shift westward. As easy as it might have been to move directly out West, I have never considered that as an actual option. It is as simple as this: Manifest Destiny was a movement with progressive westward stages, and so my geographical choices have mimicked this reality.

It is only now that I have actually completed Manifest Destiny that I have begun to wonder what I would have done if I had grown-up in the Mid-West or the West Coast rather than New Jersey. It just doesn't seem the same to try Manifest Destiny in reverse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home